Let’s be Co-Habitable!

By Monsanto

In the past few decades, many cities in India have witnessed rapid urbanization. Several cities today were just small towns before. This exponential growth causes difficulty in planning the city growth and efficiency takes a major blow. Commute becomes that much harder and prime real estate prices shoot up. The real victims of this effect are the lower income group, most of whom are rendered homeless. This World Habitat day let’s aim to make our cities co-habitable for the rich and the poor alike. So here are a few things you can do to make a difference

Opt for more ride-sharing services

One of the key reasons for disparity in living situations lies in the number of privately owned cars on the road. Precious land in the hubs of cities gets used up to park cars. The privately owned car is the single, most inefficient transport mechanism ever developed. They are used just 4% of the time and remain parked for the other 96%.

With the advent of technology-based-ride-sharing services, millennials have found a viable alternative to buying cars and ownership of these cumbersome vehicles is actually going down. This will eventually free up a lot of prime real estate which can be used to rehabilitate the vast number of people who currently live in informal structures.

Take up biking

Not only are bikes a healthy alternative to taking cars, they are also environment-friendly and they take up lesser space up on the road per individual than cars or bikes. Their easy maneuverability makes it easy to travel in places which are off limits to cars and bikes too!

Support the LGBTQ movement

A substantial chunk of the homeless population in urban areas are the LGBTQ population. They constitute close to 10% of the population but less than 1% of the workforce. Without formal jobs, it becomes difficult for them to sustain themselves in urban environments. Help them stand on their feed and build normal lives of their own by supporting them in the workplace and society at large.

Contribute to building clean, green and sustainable cities

Several of India’s major cities top the list among the world’s most polluted areas. A WHO study shows 13 of the 20 most polluted cities in the world are in India. We can change this with small initiatives taken at an individual level:

  • Don’t litter
  • Use public transport wherever possible
  • Opt for greener energy alternatives, where available
  • Reduce your carbon footprint
  • Be less wasteful, there will be more for everybody

Support Monsanto’s social initiatives

We at Monsanto work tirelessly with several NGOs to tackle issues such as sustainability, health and nutrition, security and more. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to keep up to date with what we do and how we do it. Let’s all work together to build a co-habitable environment.

Additional Articles